Monday, March 07, 2005

Amazon Used Books

The only thing I like more than Amazon's used books is the ability to sell my own.

It works like this:

1) You look up the book you have using the search book, I use the title
2) Make sure the edition you found matches yours
3) Click the Used link
4) Click Sell Yours Here button

Amazon gives you a shipping credit which is about equal to the percentage they take. So if you are selling a book for $9 it works out that you'll get about $9 from Amazon.

Very cool. I buy simple mailers from Walmart (the kind with the bubble wrap built in) and take my bundle down to the Post Office. It's that simple. Usually the Post Office can ship a book cheaper than the shipping credit that Amazon gives. Not bad. Sometimes I've bought books in the used section and sold them for the same amount when I'm done reading them.

Almost always the used books I get are in Like-New condition. The edges are clean, no creases, and no dog ears. You can't tell it from a new book. I've paid as little as 23 cents plus $2 shipping for a book that costs $13 from Borders or Barnes and Noble.

Trouble is, I can't sneak the books into the house in by work bag this way. They come in the mail and are sitting on my desk by the time I get home with a greeting: "What did you order this time?"

...dave
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes. - Desiderius Erasmus

0 comments: