Thursday, April 28, 2005

Monk Scribes

One of our business users came up with the bright idea of preventing their people from saving stuff on their hard drive. They told us to deactivate the "Save as..." in Microsoft Word. Yeah, that would work. Let's see . . .

If I were a average user I'd:

1) Open explorer
2) Copy an existing document
3) Rename it
4) Double click

...and voila, I've got a new document.

When I mentioned this request to one of my peers, this is what he said:

"Yeah, I think we should just go back to monk scribes, you know, the kind with the quill pens. You'd call information, they'd send one to you, and you'd dictate to them. You know, several of those monks had better penmenship anyway, very nice fancy script. I really think paparius will be coming back too. Trouble was, they didn't have too much to do so they put them to work harvesting grapes. Of course, the grapes fermented and now you've got a bunch of celibates drinking wine, which might not be a great mix. But anyway, I think we ought to prevent all electronic documents from here on out. Old English script is so much prettier."

Meanwhile I'm laughing hysterically at his satire. The guys are asking me: "What's so funny?" I put him on speaker phone and had him repeat it.

...dave
No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up. -Unknown

0 comments: