Thursday, April 07, 2005

Pizza all around

Money is getting tight at the Enterprise. We're cutting back big time. Bottom line and all that. Today our boss, who schedules a meeting each month, says that no lunch will be served at our 12:00 meeting.

Sheesh. First they schedule a meeting during lunch and then don't provide one. I started to think about this. There is no greater morale squasher than telling folks to come to a meeting during lunch but bag your own. So, I came up with an idea.

I hopped on down to the boss and told him I'll pay. He was surprised. I think he wished he had come up with the idea. He should have.

"Nah, you don't need to do that."

"But I want to. It'll keep the team energized."

"We'll I'll chip in $20."

"Nope, it's on me this time. You, or someone else can treat next month."

Here's the way I see it: If a boss wants to keep his troops motivated, he's got to do the things that will convince them that he's looking out for them. If they know he is "watching their backs", they'll work harder for him.

When I was leading a team of about seven people, I took them all out to lunch, regardless of wether I'd get reimbursed. I mean, come on, that's part of being the lead.

What's the cost of a few pizza boxes, when you calculate the good will you gain from your team and boss?

...dave
In the past a leader was a boss. Today's leaders must be partners with their people.... they no longer can lead solely based on positional power. -Ken Blanchard

0 comments: