Thursday, April 14, 2005

Well, then, and your point?

One of my buddies came back from a big meeting yesterday. This is a very big meeting. It's got all kinds of people involved in a single big project.

What's funny was all the whining he heard. And these are grown men! I swear, the way they act, you'd think they were still in pre-school.

There was a change in the schedule for the new software rollout. It was changed from, I think, 3:15 p.m. to the strange and odd time of 2:46 p.m. (I know, I know, but that's what they picked. Maybe it was from a roll of dice, I don't know.)

Anyway, this guy says: "Why is it 2:46 and not 3:15? Who's idea was it to change it? Why did they pick that time?"

"Do you have a problem with the time?"

"Well, no."

"Well, then, and your point? "

Can you imagine the waste of time this caused all the folks around the room? I imagined a response, something like:

"Yes, we know, it's horrific. That fact that it was changed, and we never saw a memo come through on it, is horrendous. We understand just how hard this really is. Take deep breaths. Try to get control. Fact is, it has changed, of this much we can be sure. That was then, this is now. You'll need to get through it, we can help."

I think at that point I'd give out blankets and cots and set them down for their little naps. Sheeesh.

...dave
Adults are obsolete children. -Dr. Seuss [Theodor Seuss Geisel] (03/02/1904-1991)

0 comments: