Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Seeing Another's Viewpoint

Without realizing it, I assume that people see things from my perspective. But of course, it's not true. Maybe you already know this, but I still catch myself thinking only from inside my shoes.

For example, I think books and coffee make a paradise. Not everyone does. I could spend forever in Borders. The music, coffee, endless books, cozy chairs, and even the oak coffee tables makes it the perfect environment for reading, writing and computer notebooks.

So here's the point. We were talking about interviewing for companies, specifically ours. So I say: "Hey, let's invite them to Borders, give them a mug of coffee and interview them there." Sounds like a good idea to me.

But the truth is the blue collar folks we'd be interviewing are carpenters, brick masons, carpet layer, and roofers. Now picture this: A three-fingered carpenter in bib overalls with a pencil behind his ear, toting a computer notebook and asks: "Where can I plug this in?"

Yeah, no that wouldn't work. Bad idea. Who though of that stupid idea anyway? What a dope.

...dave
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

0 comments: