Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Left turning right

On the way to a meeting tonight the roads were crazy, the people were crazy. I know this has often been a topic here before but I'm telling you these folks are nuts.

First of all there was an overturned semi-truck blocking two lanes 75 North. How in the world do you overturn a semi on a straight road? Did he forget his exit and cut across at the last minute? I wouldn't doubt it.

Then we passed a police car, ambulance, and fire truck helping another crash victim. Just tonight six police cars, three ambulance, and four fire trucks passed us on the road. On the highways, everywhere, as far as the eye can see, there were huge parking lots. We finally took a side road.

The roads are narrow, the lights are long, the turning lanes take forever.

There were people cutting across four lanes of traffic, people in the left turning lanes with their right blinkers on. I guess they changed their mind. (I saw a semi-truck doing this!) There were double lanes merging into one. Construction in the right lanes for a mile and then construction in the left lanes. Often cop cars with their pulsating blue lights were stationed in these closed lanes. I guess so no one will even think about zooming past in the construction lanes. Some of the construction vehicles have huge stadium lights on booms facing the traffic.

It was a real challenge getting home without becoming victim. We counted eight cars involved in accidents along they way so I guess we were lucky.

I'm going to trade in my car for a bike.

...dave
"When I have nothing to do I park in a shopping lot and count how many people ask if I'm leaving." - Stephen Wright

0 comments: