Wednesday, June 08, 2005

"You ought to me visible at 5:00."

Here's another gem I learned today. My boss and I were talking over lunch at the cafeteria. I told her I try to get out of the office by 4:00 or 4:30. "Well" she says "you really ought to be visible at 5:00. Just walk by our boss' office and let them see you."

Never mind that I start at 7:00 and often work through lunch. Can there really value in that?

I can see it now. I walk down the hall at 5:00pm, wave to all my peers, and say:

"How you'al doin' here today, now we are at the END of the day. Howdy boss. Just thought I'd stop by and say: Hi, and . . . hey, will you look at that. It's 5:00 p.m. already. Seems like just hours ago it was 7:00, when I started work. But here it's 5:00. Big hand straight up, you know, and that little hand just to the right of the six. Will you look at that."

I can see where this would really help design and build better software. We'll definitely get better output from the team if we walk around at 5:00 to let everyone know we are here and are working, at least until we stood up and started walking around so that everyone can see that we are still here.

If I make this a practice, they'll SEE how productive I am, how hard working I am. And most of all, just how dedicated I am to an absolutely ludicrous waste of time. What is she thinking? Does she really view this as a value add to the company?

I'm going to loose my mind.

...dave
"The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided." -Casey Stengal

0 comments: