Saturday, August 06, 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Last night we decided to use my AMC Theater golden tickets (the free tickets I got from work) to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Odd, my AMC passes were actually chocolaty looking. Anyway, we went to the 9:45 showing but I was disappointed.

I really enjoyed Johnny Depp in Pirates but I didn't find him very convincing as Willy Wonka. I liked Gene Wilder in the original film much better. He was stranger, more convincing, and funnier. I didn't like the fact that one guy plays all of the Umpa Lumpas either. They should have been different people, just like the original. Were they shaving dollars in the budget and so decided to use the same guy, just duplicated?

The songs were great -- except I couldn't understand all the words. It's not just that I'm getting old and can't hear so well (although I am) because I asked Lewis (Eric's friend) and he agreed that the words were difficult to make out.

The special effects were very good, especially the glass elevator. However, the candies, didn't look delectable. When I saw the candy garden I wasn't drawn to any of the sweet treats as I am in a real candy store, and that's really what the candy garden was supposed to be. Or maybe not. Maybe it was supposed to make you ill. Watching these people stuff their faces with creams and chocolate made me nauseous.

The ending didn't hold closely to the book either, although it was a good ending.

One of the funniest lines was when Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp) told Charlie that everything in the garden was eatable. He said: "Even I am eatable, but that's called cannibalism, and some cultures frown on that."

That's the kind of humor I was looking for in this movie. I was looking for the crazy nonsense that makes you think sort of humor. There were many key elements left out entirely. Slugworth didn't make an appearance. And Charlie and his grandpa didn't drink any Fuzzy Lifting Liquid, nor did they get in trouble.

Nope, I'll stick with the original flick.

...dave
You should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about. - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder)
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men. - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder)

0 comments: