Friday, August 19, 2005

Where to Die

We were talking tonight over dinner about suddenly dying. It came up because someone keeled over at work. He got dizzy and nauseous. Someone called the paramedics. They arrived and carted him off but he was dead on arrival at the hospital.

So then we got to talking about where we wanted to die, if we had a choice. Does it really matter? I mean, if you are about to pass out, there are other more pressing concerns. Like, What's wrong with me? Will I make it home tonight?

But then again, if I were walking down the street and suddenly passed out, that would not be a good thing. I'd rather be at home with my family. I've always imagined I'd be in some foreign country on a deserted alley, just about to pass out. I'd attract the attention of a street gang member, who peering over me, would check my pants pockets for my wallet. I'm somehow paralyzed and can't do a thing about it. That's an ugly feeling.

They are still looking into the cause of the guy's death today at work. One of the guys at work asked:

"What if you were working next to him? That would be intense!"

Initially, you might not realize that anything is wrong:

"Hey dude, what's up with the naps? Hello?"

...dave
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome. -Isaac Asimov

0 comments: