Sunday, September 04, 2005

Annie, Get your gun!

Today is Sunday. We've decided to go back up to the roof and patch up things so that at least is doesn't leak. When we got up there there was much more then we anticipated. We replaced about 30 composition shingles. There were several holes that we patched up first. We were up there for hours.

Tools were scarce. We had to use what we could find. Next time I come down I'm bringing my tool box, broom, and rake. The sorry wheelbarrow you see here I dug out from under a huge oat tree that landed on the shed. Like I said, you've got to use whatever you find.

Yesterday I took three showers. Last night we were out back having dinner (canned stew) when we heard voices in the house. We both looked at each other. I had my back to the house and so turned around when I heard: "Hey, anyone here?" There in the window was a guy with a shotgun.

Turns out, when he drove up and saw two cars he didn't recognize, he decided to get his gun. Trouble was he had been drinking. Alcohol and guns don't mix real well.

Actually, they are the parents of the kid that rents the house we have been restoring. They came by for a hot shower.

Even though the house doesn't have electricity yet, nor water you can trust to drink, they have gas which runs the hot water heater and stove.

Being thankful for small things can keep your sanity.

After finishing up the roof and the yard, I sat shirtless out on the front porch, just like those other folks I saw yesterday. Who would have thunk it? Me, a California dude, hanging out with the best of them on a Mississippi porch in the heat of the day.

...dave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coral Bay marina plan prompts CZM action
Long-vacant positions on the St. John Coastal Zone Management Commission have been filled by three appointments made by the Governor, according to the St.
Hey Webmaster, you have a great blog here! I'm bookmarking you this very minute and I will return soon! There's just too much information to absorb at once.

I've got a Bad Credit Loan Adverse ReMortgage Personal Mortgage Secured Finance site/blog. It pretty much covers stuff related to getting mortgages for people with bad credit and Bad Credit Loan Adverse ReMortgage Personal Mortgage Secured Finance.

Check it out if you get a minute :-)

Anonymous said...

Dawn Eden's Blog On: Try a little love byte on the Net
You don't have to tell me that geeks are chic. I've known it since age 13, when computer-whiz classmate Jason Eisner took me to see the sci-fi flick "Tron" - and gave me a chaste kiss during the love scene.
Great blog site!! Bookmarked it for future reference.

I have a online poker room
site/blog. It pretty much covers online poker room related stuff.

Come see mine if you get time.