Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Rita's Rage

I can't remember when I've ever seen such a mass exodus in my life. I was in Hawaii when Iniki hit in September 11th 1992. We thought it would hit Oahu and prepared by getting inside a windowless brick building with an I-beam the size of two telephone poles. The footings were a cube of five feet. We stood by waiting for the storm which never came. There is no where to evacuate in Hawaii. That storm packed 130 mile an hour winds. It cost in excess of $2 billion.

I can truly relate to what is going through their minds. Since we didn't have anywhere to go, I remember tracking the storm on the computers and conveying the location to the Branch.

Twenty-four hours from now we'll know just how ugly this store will be. All indications are that Galveston will be flooded, totally under water.

The Gas prices are threatening to be $4 by the end of next week! It's time to dust off the bike.

I was appalled when I heard what Former first Lady Barbara Bush said after visiting some of the hurricane evacuees at the Astrodome in Houston on September 5th 2005:

"What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle) – this is working very well for them." (Source)

This reminds me of the comment from a princess (misattributed to Marie Antoinette) who, when told that the people of the country had no bread to eat, replied, "Let them eat cake." This saying has become synonymous with insensitivity to the realities of life. History DOES repeat itself.

Do the very wealthy REALLY understand the common man's plight? I sincerely doubt it.

...dave
They had a profile of John Kerry on the news and they said his first wife was worth around $300 million and his second wife, his current wife, is worth around $700 million. So when John Kerry says he's going after the wealthy in this country, he's not just talking. He's doing it! -Jay Leno

0 comments: