Thursday, March 23, 2006

Photo School

In preparation of our trip I decided to get some photo schooling.

I went down to the library and picked up lots of books and even a video on photography.

The video was entitled: The Absolute Best School of Photography.

It wasn't. I didn't learn one thing! I fell asleep watching it. That's how absorbing it was.

How can a video say it's the last word on photography?

Even the example photos were horrible. I've seen better pictures on a Wheaties box. It was ridiculous. It was painful.

It's not like the guy wasn't trying. He was. He talked about bounce flash, focal lengths, f-stops, apertures, depth of field, golden squares (although he didn't call it that), and what to carry in your bag.

There was one point in the video where he had all his lenses out on a table and one by one he placed them in his huge bag. He must have had 20 lenses. It must have weighed 30 pounds when he loaded up the bag. But the painful part was picking up each lens and telling us what focal length it was and how he'd use it. It must have taken 10 minutes to run through this little monologue.

He could have been teaching us about double exposures, cloud painting, light painting at night, cityscapes, panning, neutral density, split neutral density, and motion capture.

Instead I saw star filters and multi-image filters, neither of which I ever use.

Maybe I should do my own video. It would at least be more entertaining to watch.

...dave
Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter.  ~Ansel Adams

0 comments: