Sunday, March 26, 2006

A Tale of Two Cats

I've finally figured out why our cats are so different -- Snickers and Taco.

Snickers is the kind of cat that wants to be near you but doesn't want to be touched. He must not have had many hugs when he was young.

Taco, on the other hand, wants to be touched. Often he jumps on our bed and winds himself up between Ruth and I so that his chin is resting on my typing arm (often I blog from bed) and his tail is touching Ruth's arm. He's just the kind of guy that likes the human touch.

But here's the strange thing, we raised Snickers. We always put him on our chest at night and could feel him purring. Taco was chased out of the house next store by three nasty cats that nearly killed him.

Now, Taco spends more time at our house then he does at our next door neighbors. I don't know what we are going to do when we move. Should we ask them if we can keep him? He's never over there so I don't really think it could matter.

Taco is a cool cat. He lets me pet his paw pads. Snickers will draw his paws inward if I try that. Taco will drape himself over just about anything, me, the chair, the edge of the bed. Snickers will curl himself in a ball on something high so that he can see whats going on. He doesn't trust anyone.

Sometimes Snickers will lay right in our office doorway, like he's garding the entry. He'll swack (swich + whack) his tail while he watchs us type on our computers. Nothing goes unmonitored with him. Taco? He's usually draped in our lap, paw and leg extended and chin hanging over the edge of the chair.

Today I caught Taco draped on our kitchen bar stool absorbing the morning's sunbeam. I grabbed this photo sliding around on our wood floor while Ruth made breakfast.

He's absolutely content.

...dave
You can't own a cat. The best you can do is be partners. - Sir Harry Swanson

0 comments: