Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The lowly 4x6 card

I can't say enough about the lowly 4x6 cards I use every day.

It's just white cardboard stock but it's never far from my reach. I use it at work, at home, even in the car. I never go out without a pack. I carry a pack of 10 or 12 binder clipped in my my Lands End bag. And I use them for everything.

Here are a few good uses:

cup coaster
backing stock for picture postcard
put a stamp on it and use it for a regular postcard
fold it in half and use it as a small gift card
bookmark
convention notes (flat on lap)
sketch cards
run them through your printer for teaching flash cards

Point is they are very handy to have around. I have a lose stack of them (about 100) sitting on my desk. Whenever I need something more lasting than a 3x3 Post-it, I use a 4x6. It's more permanent, I can use both sides, I can fold it in half and put it in my shirt pocket, and it doubles as my cup coaster.

I prefer the blank 4x6 (on both sides). But you can also buy lined cards as well as graph cards (cards with the small squares on one side). You can even buy cards in florescent, obnoxious colors to irritate your friends.

And they are cheap! You can buy 500 for about $4. Everyone is spending big bucks on those pricey Post-it notes. They are passing by the lowly 4x6 cards.

People ought to give them a second look. I think they're going to be all the rage in the future.

...dave
Although it is generally known, I think it's about time to announce that I was born at a very early age. -Groucho Marx

0 comments: