Thursday, August 16, 2007

Friends are like Wildflowers

While visiting friends in North Carolina I found a field of wildflowers.

I've never seen so much variety in such a small area. I was amazed. I focused on a single flower and snapped a picture. I zoomed in and out experimenting with focus. I tried placing a different flower in the foreground with the others a backdrop of dancing color. But in the end every flower featured looked beautiful. There really wasn't a bad perspective, just a different one.

When I got back to the house and brought the pictures up on my computer I decided to keep all the photographs. Each perspective was beautiful to me.

It was then that it hit me: My friends are really as varied as the wildflowers in a field. All of them are unique and provide me with a fresh perspective on life. I enjoy being close each and every one of them. When I spend time with them I see their beauty. My other friendships are still present but in the background. Their colors and perspectives provide a great contrast to the friend I'm with at the time.

I have friends all over the country and even in different countries. I often want to pluck them from the field and take them home with me but I know they thrive best in their own environments.

And they will be there when I return.

...dave
A friend is a present you give yourself. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Maybe related links:
Coffee Friends

0 comments: