Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Sick


alligator
Originally uploaded by daveterry.
We left Topside early last night taking our chocolate cake home in a clear plastic box. We always get the chocolate cake for desert, it goes great with coffee. But I wasn’t up to eating it right then.

I wasn’t feeling well and I was getting hotter by the minute. I had to get horizontal.

So I found the bed and with much struggling and a certain amount of effort I peeled back the covers and climbed in. And so there I lie, shivering.

My joints are sore. My skin feels raw. There is a metallic taste in my mouth. Light hurts my eyes.

Eventually I stopped shivering but then started to heat up. I don’t know what my temperature was but I got so hot i left burn marks in the sheets.


alligator
Originally uploaded by daveterry.
Damp washcloths helps the head pain while keeping the light out of my eyes. Through constant turning and refolding they eventually cooled me down.

I was up and down throughout the night and 6:30 a.m. came awful early. I just couldn’t get up. Two sumo wrestlers were sitting on my head. Two packets of BCs assuaged the headache. I had a good nurse.

I fell back into the pillows and was out again until 12:45.

What a lousy way to end a vacation.

(The alligator here pictured came out of the pond to get a little sun. That was a highlight of the trip. Ruth insisted that I gradually get closer until I was about 10 feet away. She was okay with that. My life insurance is paid up.)

...dave
If you treat a sick child like an adult and a sick adult like a child, everything usually works out pretty well. - Ruth Carlisle

2 comments:

Papa Joe said...

"...with much struggling AND a certain amount of effort..." ???

May be you should find bedspreads made of lighter material.

daveterry said...

You know how those people tuck those sheets in.