Wednesday, April 02, 2008

A smile

I went to Chick-fil-a today and had a great experience. It wasn't the food so much, although it was good, but the server had a serene, restful smile.

She said: "How can I help you today?"

But I was still looking at her smile. I was looking into a pool of cool refreshing water. I kind of stared a bit before it registered that I was not responding.

"Oh, ah, I'll have a wrap and coffee."

"Would you like a the chicken, sausage, or a mixed wrap?"

"Yes...I mean sausage."

"Okay, great. Would you like the bold coffee or the morning brew?"

"Bold."

I kept gazing. I want to be clear here. It wasn't love or infatuation, it was tranquility. It was as though I stepped into a field of wildflowers and a spring a breeze swept over me. It was a most arresting experience. I have never met anyone with a more entrancing smile.

When we went to the table (I hate eating breakfast in a car), Ruth said to me: "Doesn't she have a beautiful smile?"

"Yes, I couldn't look away. It is the most beautiful, angelic face I've ever seen."

I got an arched eyebrow.

"Ah, I mean, besides yours love...of course!"

When she came to our table to deliver the meal Ruth told her: "You have a wonderful smile. It's beautiful. It's so attractive."

Her face beamed and her eyes became half-moon crescents. She graciously asked if there was anything else we needed.

Yes, lessons on smiling.

I'd love to have a smile like hers. I'm going to practice smiling more. It's the universal language.

...dave
There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all.

0 comments: