Sunday, October 04, 2009

the barrel cup


starbucks barrel mug
Originally uploaded by daveterry.
It's getting a little cooler now. It's about 50 degrees outside and inside it stays about 70 or so. The AC doesn't kick in nor does the heater. It's really perfect indoors.

It's early now. Still dark outside.

By the time I shuffle into the kitchen and turn the coffee and hot water on I'm awake already. I use the hot water to pre-heat the mug. Once the mug is pre-heated the coffee stays hot for about 15 minutes.

I fire up my Google email and read last night's posts, deleting most of it before actually reading the details. I can tell by the subject line it's not for me.

But I mainly write this post to tell you about the latest Starbuck's mug I bought. (No, I don't work for them nor get any revenue for mentioning them here. In fact, truth be told, they get revenue from me regardless of what I write.)

Anyway, this Starbuck Coffee Barrel Mug is the best yet.


starbucks mug
Originally uploaded by daveterry.
I already own the tall (Venti sized) ceramic mug for drinking on the road. And another beautiful mug I've never ever seen in any Starbucks shop since Hawaii.

However, this new mug is the one I grab now.

Just think about it:

it IS heavy, weights 15.7 oz empty (31.6 oz filled)
has a creamy white porcelain finish
has a 3-finger handle
has an ever-so-slightly curving top and bottom (thus the "barrel" look)
it only cost me seven frog skins

But here's the best part:

It holds 16 oz (not 8 or 12 but 16 oz!) of pure hot liquid java. To die for.

(Now I know some of you people drink iced coffee, but that's just wrong, pure and simple. No coffee snob would put ice in their java just as no self-respecting sommelier would even dream of putting ice in a jammy cabernet sauvignon. It's just morally and ethically wrong.)

Wait a second, I hear the coffee maker slurping. That means it's ready. I'll make my undetected journey in the dark (it's 4:22 a.m.) and retrieve the oily liquid. Be right back.

Now it's true, I have plenty of mugs and I ought not buy yet another but this mug feels so wonderful cradled between my two palms. It's about the size of a grapefruit but smooth like glass.


barrel Starbucks cup
Originally uploaded by daveterry.
And when I peer down into the depths of the inky black liquid I feel like an oil tycoon that has just discovered a golden vein.

This is the perfect WFH (work-from-home) mug, no spillage, sits flat, holds a large amount of liquid which means few return trips to the coffee maker.

Odd thing is, I couldn't find any pictures of this mug on starbucks.com nor on flickr.com nor even on google images. That's really weird.

So I took my own picture and drew a quick sketch.

Wow, it's time for another cup.

...dave
A morning without coffee is like sleep. ~Author

0 comments: