Friday, March 18, 2005

Oak Wall Unit

We've lived here now for about three years and have never finished the office. We just set up a lumber core piece of plywood across two file cabinets for my desk. And we bought a cheap simulated wood desk for Ruth about seven years ago at some OfficeMax for $59 I think. Really the "wood desk" is bland wood grained contact paper pasted over glued sawdust board. Okay, It's true, it's not sheik, but hey, neither are we. It was working though, what's wrong with that?

The only REAL furniture in the office are some solid oak bookcases I made some years ago and they still look as beautiful as the day I finished them. These things went through a flood. When the water receded I wiped them down with oil and they were as good as new, but that's another story.



Ruth wanted real office furniture, can't say as I blamed her. She went hunting on eBay and found a beautiful unit and bid on it. The challenge would be the shipping. One bid and seven days later, the solid oak unit was ours. Ruth hunted around and found prices ranging from $1200 to $500 for shipping. The company that agreed to ship the items from Illinois to Georgia for $500 was also willing to wrap it.

The unit came in six pieces. They were new. A contractor had ordered them for a client that didn't want them so he sold them and we were the only bidders. These things go for $4000 new.



I set them up in one night...but it was a long night.

Now we have an office that LOOKS like an office. Now all she needs to do is move the stuff from her old desk to the new. And she did but...

When I got home today, she decided that it needs to be moved. Sure, just after the back surgery.

...dave
My wife and I have an agreement. I don't try to run her life and I don't try to run mine.

0 comments: