Sunday, April 10, 2005

Discipline

I decided to administer some discipline this morning. I got tired of the constant pushing of the boundaries, in octopus-like tendrils, and I realized that the time had come to take drastic action. And now of course, you can hardly believe the changes.

I feel a tinge of regret, I may have been a bit harsh. Could I have gone too far?

But it was for their own good! They were way out of control and I had to do something. I spent the better part of my morning with them! Do you think they appreciate it? I doubt it.

Finally at 11:00 a.m. I went in for breakfast and left them outside to reflect on the lessons I gave them. But deep down I know that just as soon as I left, they began to conspire against me. When I drove off, later in the day, I'm sure I saw some deviancy going on by the side of the house.

I am certain they don't appreciate the correction I give them. But it doesn't mean I'm not going to stay on top of it.

After a few months though, they'll thank me. They'll be healthier for the treatment I gave them. They are inherently wild and they will take over the yard and even the house, if you allow it. And they have no concept of modesty or personal space. They continue to encroach on the rights of others. That's why boundaries are so important.

My problem is keeping up with each and every one of them. No sooner I turn my back on one and a problem develops with another.

Hmmm, it just occured to me, plants can be a lot like, well, children.

...dave
Plant and your spouse plants with you; weed and you weed alone. -Jean Jacques Rousseau

0 comments: