Saturday, May 14, 2005

Quotes

I keep a notebook when I read. When I run across something interesting and applicable in another setting I write it down. One of life's greatest pleasures is re-reading what others have said. I was just looking through that list. Here are some things other's have said and why:

"What a fool I used to be. I used to think that life is great and people suck but now I think life sucks but people are great." -Ghost Rider

He lost his girlfriend in a terrible accident and writes about riding through the country on his motorcycle in hopes of forgetting, or fleeing from the hurt and pain. Before the accident he was sure-footed and happy with life, but lacked empathy for others. By his own admission, he was not very tolerant. After the accident, he was mad at life but people were so loving and supportive. He was touched by that.

"Sometimes the nicest thing you can do for some people is let them do something for you." -Stienbeck

Sometimes people just need to give. We can't discourage that, even when the gift is limited.

"Some people just want reinforcement of their inappropriate behavior not insight on how to change it." -Dr. Phil

Interesting observation. It's important that when we reach out to people, we must understand what their commitments are for changing themselves. Otherwise it's wasted effort.

"Liberty means responsibility -- that's why most men avoid it." -George Bernard Shaw

An interesting quote in this era of "free speech." Freedoms mean we must be responsible enough to respect other's freedoms while enjoying ours. Whenever someone pulls the "free speech" card, I run, because it usually means free for them but someone else pays.

"Your music is my noise."

This is similar to the one above. How many times has a car pulled up next to you (or even behind you) playing music so loud it rattled your windows. If you asked them to turn it down they'd reply: "Hey, dude, it's a free country." (They might just turn it up to spite you.) The air is free, but that doesn't give a company the right to pollute it. I'd say it's the same with the air pollution of music.

"The future arrives too soon and in the wrong order." -Alvin Toffler

So true.

...dave
If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster. -Isaac Asimov

0 comments: