Thursday, June 30, 2005

Just tell me when we get there

I don't need the pilot telling me that we are exactly 135 miles from Memphis, nor how quickly we are ascending, nor what our tail wind speed is. I simply don't care. I'm trying to read back here. Doesn't he know this is what folks do to keep themselves busy while he fiddles with the controls? Why does he have to tell me what he's doing?

If I take my car in for repairs, does the mechanic call me up every hour to tell me where he is in the process?

“I'm just taking the first sparkplug out here. After that I'm going to put a new one in, just exactly where the old one was.”

Yeah, well great. That is what I'm paying you for. I don't understand the details. I don't really care. I just want the car to get me from point A to point B when you're done.

When I take my shirts to the cleaners the guy doesn't call to tell me he's just completed the dry cycle or that he's just ironing the the left sleeve. I don't care. I'm only interested in the finished product. Everything else is just noise.

Sometimes I try to sleep on the plane but I'm often unsuccessful -- because of the pilot!

So I'd like to tell the pilot:

“Hey buddy, I'm going to try and get just a little sleep here. Can you guys keep it down up there? Thanks.”

...dave
“Just end up where it says on the ticket.” - Jerry Seinfeld

0 comments: