Wednesday, June 29, 2005

On Writing

I have to laugh at all the books there are on writing. It's true, sometimes you have nothing to say, a writer's block if you will. But really, if you have nothing to say, maybe it's time to go do something so that you can write home about. Shish.

My problem is, there it just too much to write about. I don't have the time to write about all the crazy stories that happen around me. Maybe I'm in a rich environment? I don't know. I picked up one book wherein the women writes about the dry landscape around her, it matches her writing. It's dry. Not much happening there for sure.

Here's a story that just happened to me today:

I was shopping for a backpack for our NYC trip. I'm comparing all the packs (and there are lots). I was looking at the thickness of material, quality of the zippers, waterproofing, etc. I was there so long I thought they'd arrest me for loitering!

I finally settled on a nondescript black backpack for $20. Not bad. Just enough to hold our junk as we go shopping in NYC. When I paid for it the cashier was putting the backpack (a bag with straps) into a bag. This is crazy. Here she's putting a bag you'd wear on your back into a bag you carry in your hand. How crazy is that? "No thanks, you can save the bag." I said.

Next store at OfficeMax while paying for some pens the lady gestured to my backpack. She wanted to charge me for it! Whoa lady. Keep those hands off my bag. (On second thought maybe I should have got the bag.)

I know, it's not a great story but it just happened in the last hour. Point is, there's lots of things to write about. Where's the block?

...dave
Every writer is a frustrated actor who recites his lines in the hidden auditorium of his skull. - Rod Serling

0 comments: