Monday, June 27, 2005

Drawing pictures

I never thought it would come down to this.

In the old days back when I was doing serious software development work I had several IDEs (Interactive Development Environments) up and running. One for the programming language I used, another for the database I used, a few more for the administration functions of the machine I was on as well as the servers. The more windows I had up, the more secure I was, because it all meant I knew what I was doing and could navigate through all the seeming window confusion.

When I started writing software in UNIX on Solaris, there was more confusion since the distributed systems I was designing and writing required a confusing array of screens and windows, as well as rlogins to the servers. It was great fun.

It's all changed now. My main IDE running today is the email client of Outlook and also MS Office's Powerpoint. Now I just draw pictures and write email. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it's true.

In a meeting today that lasted three hours, I simply drew pictures, lots of boxes and circles with lines going every which way. I know it's hard to believe they pay me for this but it's true. But the Director and the Vice President like the pictures. They plan to use them for a special presentation for the the CIO. Imagine, my humble pictures in front of the most powerful VPs in the Enterprise. I'm on my way to fame.

Now I just need to get published.

...dave
Some people obtain fame, others deserve it. -Doris Lessing

0 comments: