Friday, June 24, 2005

Three Strikes

Let's say you were going just over the speed limit. Let's also say you were rounding a turn. Let's just say, for example, that a cop were sitting just around the corner with his radar gun. What would you do? Well, sure, you'd slow down. Right? Of course. Were you distracted and talking on the phone?

In Georgia, in Cobb county specifically, you'd get three tickets. That's right. Three. How? One for speeding. One for slowing down (obstructing traffic). And another for talking on the phone without a headset. Talking on the phone is okay. Without a headset? Punishable by law. That's illegal in Cobb county.

So my friend (ah, you thought it was me didn't you?) goes to court. Here's his argument:

1) "My car was in cruise control, set to the speed limit."
2) "I didn't slow down enough to "obstruct traffic" I simply tapped the break to deactivate the cruise."
3) "If a headset is not required in Smyrna, but is in Cobb, I'd get in an accident trying to attach it going across county lines."

The judge said: "We'll let you off of 'obstructing traffic' and not using a headset, but if you fight the speeding ticket and loose, you'll have to pay all three."

My argument would be: "If I'm not guilty now, how can I be guilty later when I fight the speeding ticket?"

I'll never get it. It's a good thing I wasn't with him.

...dave
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. -Aesop

0 comments: