Monday, August 22, 2005

Chinese Talk

I've got my first Chinese talk tomorrow. It's supposed to be five minutes but if I go any slower it'll be an hour talk. I've been working hard on it, but it's depressing just how hard this stuff is, at least for me.

But this ain't so with others it seems. A 15 year old giggles when I comment. My wife picks this stuff up while sleeping. She's just going to read it. My reading in Chinese is strained and choppy.

I'm jealous over little Erin. She's a little two year old who's father teaches Chinese. She is exposed to Japanese, Chinese, and English. She's only two years old. Did I already say that? If only my parents had sent me to a Chinese school when I was two, then my troubles would be over. Then these Chinese words would roll off my tongue and I could spend my time in other fruitful endeavors, like writing daily blogs for example.

But until that, and that will prove to me some time from now for sure, I'll have to be satisfied with blood, sweat and tears.

...dave
I personally believe we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain.  ~Jane Wagner

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Taiwan. The good news is our Chinese is improving a bit. The bad news is we have many more chances to realize exactly how bad our Chinese is. Still working on some blog posts - will let you know when they are up. Hope your talk went well. Please say hi to Ruth, Eric and everyone in the group. You can always email us at trentorr@bellsouth.net

ni de pengyou,

Trent + Stacey