Monday, September 12, 2005

Boxster

So I took my Boxster in for another oil change...gets one every 5,000 miles. I can't take it in to Walmart where they charge just $16, including oil filter and oil. I've got to take it in to an "authorized Porsche dealer." Because, after all, who would trust the racing machine with anyone else.

Anyway, $135 dollars later, the mechanic comes in to the waiting room where I'm watching CNN on TV. He has a rather serious look on his face, like a doctor giving a patient bad news.

"Well, I heard some noises in your car. I don't mean to scare you but they concern me."

"Oh, really? What noises?"

"Some clicking noises in the rear left panel."

"Yeah, I've heard those before."

"We're not sure what they could be. Let me know if they get any worse."

"Yes, well, I will. Thank you doctor, er, I mean, Thank you."

"Oh, and another thing. Did you know your ignition switch needs replacing?"

"Well, no, but now that you mention it, it does stick sometimes. What would it cost to fix it?"

"About $350. Maybe, when you bring it in, I'll listen to the rear panel and see if I can hear anything."

I was about to get up but he still had this somber face. He looked like he was contemplating the significance of the world events in our modern times. But he wasn't.

"Ah, one more thing."

"Yes?"

"At 3,200 rpm the engine doesn't sound right. Have you ever had a clutch job?"

"Well, no."

"I've seen this before on the race track. They wind out and then blow up. It's a mess."

I thought he was talking about the driver, but he was talking about the machine. He thinks of the cars anthropomorphically.

"That's bad." It's the only reply I could offer. "What's the cost?"

"It's hard to tell. It depends on what the real problem is. It might be the clutch or something else. It takes 11 hours in labor. It may not be a problem. Let me know if it gets any worse."

It's not sounding good. I'm bailing.

...dave
"Middle Age - When you want to see how long your car will last instead of how fast it will go." -Anonymous quotes

0 comments: