Thursday, September 15, 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

We subscribe to the Blockbuster DVD Internet program. You just go on line and queue up what you'd like to see and they send you the movies as they can. I think you can have three at any one time. You slip the DVD back in the provided sleeve and they send you the next one on your list. It's great.

We decided to watch the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's much better then the new one. In fact, the DVD includes interviews of the kids in the show. They are much older now. It was very interesting.

The budget was provided by Quaker, the oatmeal company. They put up three million. The plan was to come out with a candy bar about the same time as the move. However, when the candy bars hit the shelves they began to melt. There was something defective and they had to pull them from the shelves. Meanwhile the move took off.

Some mothers had issues with the bad kids in the show. They felt that the show highlighted bad behavior and gave kids ideas. Eventually, Gene Wilder was stopped everywhere he went. Mothers insisted that he answer one question or another about the show.

Gustaf, the heavy kid that got stuck in the tube, couldn't speak any English. The kids didn't see the candy room before the film so real their real surprise was caught on film.

I won't spoil any more of it but it's a show worth seeing.

...dave
Forget love-- I'd rather fall in chocolate!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My email is down. So I thought I'd try this and see if it goes through.
Do you remember who we say the original movie with? The Phillips and your grandmother. Sharon and I liked it so much we wanted to stay and see it again.
...mom

Anonymous said...

My email is down. So I thought I'd try this and see if it goes through.
Do you remember who we say the original movie with? The Phillips and your grandmother. Sharon and I liked it so much we wanted to stay and see it again.
...mom