Saturday, September 24, 2005

Rita's Aftermath

I've been keeping up with Rita. It's sort of a one-sided relationship. She doesn't care much for me, or anyone for that matter. She tends to be short of ego-centric. But I've been very much interested in her. Even at work I've been stalking her.

Last night, while over a friend's house with a 52 inch TV, we watched the first reports of the destruction. I can't tell if I'm looking at Texas or New Orleans. They both look the same now.

In a way it is fortunate that Rita hit where Katrina was. Even though the flooding has broken the levies again, at least it's the same uninhabited areas.

But here is the craziness: Why are they even considering a rebuild effort there? This doesn't make ANY sense to me. Building ten feet below sea level, near the ocean is irresponsible. Leave it a lake or make it a park but don't rebuild and put people in this bathtub.

It's like building a village at the bottom of a glacier, or constructing a house on a smoldering volcano.

The worst part of building in the 9th Ward in New Orleans is that the entire area is kept dry with pumps. Pumps that empty water over dikes. These people rely on these pumps to keep their homes dry.

Indeed some New Orleans residents are NOT going back. Now is the time to make the break for sure.

The Governor in Atlanta has decided to cancel the schools for the next two days in an effort to save fuel. Seems like a good idea. Some are asking: What am I going to do with my kids? I've got to go to work.

Well, that's an easy one - STAY AT HOME!

...dave
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.  ~Mark Twain

0 comments: