Thursday, November 03, 2005

Names

One of my life's biggest challenges is remembering names.

I know Dale Carnage says: "Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language."

But it's so hard for me. I even forgot our CO's name when introducing him! What a knuckle-head I am. I'm really out of it.

Sometimes I feel like people are just floating past me. I can't move towards them. I'm somehow restrained. I want to go where they are going but somehow I can't.

They must look at me and say: "What's wrong with this guy? He's not even on the same channel! His rabbit ears are maladjusted."

My antenna is up but it just don't receive the signal. Maybe I AM on a different channel.

Anyway, this reminds me of the poor guy who couldn't even remember his friend's names. His buddy hooked him up with a doctor that taught him by association how to remember names. Some months later he was telling another friend about the doctor. The friend asked: "What's the doctor's name?"

"Ah, wait a minute." he said. Then asked his friend: "Okay, what do you call that flower that's red and has a long stem with thorns on it?"

"A Rose?"

"Yeah, right." So he yells over his shoulder to his wife in the kitchen: "Hey, Rose, What's that doctor's name?"

Sad but true. I feel like that guy sometimes.

I've decided to take a new tack. I'm going to type a list of people's names on a card and carry it around with me. As I finish talking to the person I'm going to write something unique about the person next to their name.

I'll keep you posted.

...dave
A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked. -Author: Bernard Meltzer

0 comments: