Sunday, December 25, 2005

D70 Nikon Purchased

Well, I've done it. I went ahead and bought a used digital Nikon D70 camera and lens. Never mind that there are a few snags with the final sale but it seems that the seller is making it right.

He used an advertisement for the sale but the stuff he was selling wasn't exactly what the ad said. Anyway, he's offered to give me the lens for free if I still want the camera. That's a very good deal I'd say.

That means I need to get cracking on selling the rest of my manual camera stuff. It's a bitter sweet experience. While I know I need to come into the 21st century and embrace the digital world of photography, I'm fighting it. What happens if I can't recharge the battery for the camera? What happens if I lose the images in the card? At least with my current equipment, the camera still works without the battery and the images are recorded on film. Even if I loose one roll, I have all the rest. The digital cards for these machines can hold 500-1000 images. That's putting a lot of eggs in one basket.

So now I'm obliged to download the images to my notebook for safe storage. Then I have to burn them to some CD or upload them to some Internet site for safe keeping. It's so complex. Do I really have the time for this?

But here's the great thing about digital and the reason why I'm loosing my grip on film. I can take any number of pictures without cost, I can upload to travel blogs, and I can be creative in Photoshop. Since I like to write, taking images and writing stories provide a publishing outlet for me. It's great fun for me and enjoyable for others too. (Well, if the writing and images are good that is.)

Update March 28th 2010:

I'm moving up to the D300s and the 11-16 f/2.8 super sharp Tokina . Way cool.  You can read about the new Nikon D300s & Tokina 11-16mm combo here.

...dave
All I want is less to do, more time to do it, and higher pay for not getting it done. Is that too much to ask?

0 comments: