Friday, December 23, 2005

Favorite Work Time

This time of year is a favoriate. Most folks leave early for vacations for the holidays. So this morning I came in, got the coffee going, and caught up on the email. It's my regular routine.

We've got a small refrigerator with our special coffee brewing station that I bought from Walmart sitting on top. I'll see if I can post a picture of it here. It's fairly handy. The part that holds the water has a handle on it. I just carry it to the faucet, rinse out the previous day's coffee, filler 'er up with fresh water and dump it in the brewing station. (It's a brewing station, okay?! It's not a coffee pot!) Next, I grind the beans from Peets, dump those in, and press the start button. The coffee drips through the filter and into a reservoir that is heated. Just under the reservoir there is enough room for a big mug. I simply press the mug up against the silver button and I get hot coffee dispensed into the cup. The reservoir stays hot for about two hours then shuts off. Of course, by then we've drank it down. It's a Hamilton Beach BrewStation 12-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker.

By the time it's finished brewing, the first guy gets in (say about 7:30 a.m.) and we talk about what's planned for the day. It's great because it's usually quiet at that time and I get so much accomplished. (Although, I must confess, I was online looking at digital cameras this morning after finishing the mail.)

By 8:00 a.m. crazy things started happening. Email flying around to directors and VPs. Finally, by 10:00 a.m. I started my day of meetings that lasted until 2:30. Thing is, in view of the holiday, most of my associates had left by 11:30 a.m.

When I walked out at 3:00 p.m. the parking garage was empty.

...dave
Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee and just as hard to sleep after. -Anne Morrow Lindbergh

0 comments: