Friday, December 02, 2005

A Haircut

I worked some long days this week so decided to head out of the office to get a haircut on the way home. I called ahead to reserve a 3:30 slot but that was a waste.

If they accept appointments, they should honor them. You think?

I got there right at 3:30 but someone was in the chair. She asked me if it would be alright to finish up. "Sure, no rush." I told her, and she took me at my word because an hour later I was finally in the chair.

And that's the strange thing. I said: "No rush." but I meant Sure, finish up who you're with. Even though there were several there waiting, I figured I'd be next.

When it came time to pay she told me they don't take credit cards. That was embarrassing since I only had $5 left from the week's expenses. I had to get her to agree I could drop off the balance on Monday when I came by on my way to work.

It's kind of a strange place. When she opened, there was hardly anyone there. Just six chair and one barber.

Now, nothing was any different except the more people waiting. What is worse is that I was the only guy with hair AFTER the cut longer than a fingernail. The rest of the crowd was military. There's a base across the street and down the road.

Here's the strange thing, on every flat surface there were displayed oil paintings with little cards with prices written on them. I didn't ask whose they were. They looked like paint-by-numbers from a rest home. I don't think I'll be laying down any cash on these.

...dave
"You can not export a haircut." - The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman, commenting on the move to outsource technology.

0 comments: