Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sketching in the square

This last weekend we decided to take a day off together, Ruth and I. We went to Marietta Square.

The Square is an old southern thing you'll see in these parts. It usually consists of a fountain and some park benches. This square has a small train for toddlers to climb through. There's also a bandstand used for free music in the summer.

Anyway, we found a cafe with a few outside chairs and began to draw people and things in the square. I soon had two guys staring at me who finally come over to see what I was doing. They saw my little book with this tiny sketch of a shoe and sock. "Wow, look at the detail in that sock. Cool." he said as his buddy come over to join us.

It's a bit unnerving sketching in public. I fight the inclination to hide my book as people pass by but in the end, who cares? I'm doing it for some simple afternoon enjoyment and relaxation. Who cares if I hear giggles as people pass? Or have some kid lean over my sholder and say: "If you're so good, why don't you have your own art studio?"

Go away kid you bother me. And stop dripping your ice cream cone on my knee.

...dave
"Everyone is a genius at least once a year; a real genius has his original ideas closer together." - Georg Lichtenberg(1742-1799)

0 comments: