Friday, August 18, 2006

Thinking with a pencil

I found a gem of a book. Wow. I'd say this guy is the father of diagrams.

The initial page reads: "With 692 illustrations of Easy Ways to Make and Use Drawings in Your Work and in Your Hobbies."

He has illustrated every kind of drawing you can think of: people, graphs, objects, flora, fauna, 3 dimensional mechanical objects, drapery, lettering, and more!

I got my used copy through Amazon for about a buck + $3 shipping.

What a wealth of information in this 350 page book.

If you are looking for examples and approaches to sketching for hobby or work, this is a must have.

Here's just one thing I learned:

When drawing objects behind other objects, stop your contour lines of the objects behind just before they meet the objects in front. He shows examples in the book. (And I'd post them here if it weren't for copyright infringement.)

Great stuff!

...dave
"The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time" -Abraham Lincoln

0 comments: