Monday, October 23, 2006

Brain Tuning

It's been said that if you expose your children to Mozart's music when young they will become geniuses. It has something to do with their brain synapses and cognitive learning. If I was ever exposed to Mozart when young, which I doubt, it didn't do anything for me. If my synapses were connected before, they've snapped now.

But it's never too late to learn. Right?

So I picked up a Tune Your Brain CD from, well, where else? -- Borders. But you can also get it here from Amazon online.

Has it helped? I know you're wondering. I am too. I don't know. I feel smarter. I think I look smarter. Does that count?

The CD is divided into three sections: IQ BUSTERS, CONCENTRATION and THINK FAST. Several Mozart selections are provided for each. The idea is to play the sections appropriate for the tasks at hand. If you are reading or trying to learn something, play the CONCENTRATION selections. If you are doing several tasks at your desk such as phone, email, and writing, then you're to listen to the THINK FAST selections. The IQ BUSTERS are supposed to boost your thinking ability. They are provided as little "limbering" exercises before the hard stuff.

I don't know. I played the Sonata for Piano and Violin in B flat major (K. 454). That was in the THINK FAST section. It made me type faster. But I did make a few mistakes. Does that count?

Maybe this is just a gimmick. Maybe it's just a way to part a fool with his money. It worked on me. Those marketing people are really smart. They probably listened to Mozart when they were young.

Chumps.

...dave
What a fool does in the end, the wise do in the beginning. -Spanish Proverb

0 comments: