Thursday, November 16, 2006

Bullies

I guess it’s true that some things never change. There are bullies in the sandbox and bullies on the streets. Age doesn’t matter. Some people just never grow up.

I met a bully just this week. He was large, I mean, huge, in fact, gigantic in stature. Am I to be a trophy on his wall or bragging rights to his friends? I wonder, is it a bully's huge size that creates a disposition of distain for all things small? Does a bully, bully all things small everywhere, all the time? I don't know.

I didn't want to stick around and find out. All I can remember is coming face to face with his grill. That menacing grin. He’s just egging me on. I ignored his aggression. I just let him through. I wasn’t about to be crushed by two tons of a metal and then squeezed into the crevice of his treads. Not me, no way. Even huge trucks can be bullies!

I saw another bully in the parking lot. He wasn't as big, but big enough. I went out to get in my little Ford Focus rental but he blocked my path. I thought about going back into the store to wait it out. I figured I could wait until he left the parking lot. Why press the issue? But I HAD to get back to work. I had to get to my car. I just pushed past him, opened my door quickly and jumped inside. I may have bumped him. It may have left a dent in his side. I hate to confess that I didn't care one way or other.

Another bully rode my back bumper for sometime before turning left in front of me while I was stopped at a red light. That bully nearly took my front bumper with him.

I guess bullies are a reflection of their owners. All the bullies I met this week were owned by women. They must have felt safe, ensconced as they were in their Hummer H3 and Eddie Bauer Explorer monster cars. Who could do anything to them? If I had rolled down my window, I may have been able to reach up and touch the side step treads of the H3.

I stay away from bullies.

...dave
Those who bully the weak are cowards before the strong.-- Chinese Proverb

0 comments: