Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Ford Focus

I'm driving a rental while my car is in the shop. Mind you, my car has a six CD changer, leather seats, sun roof, butt warmers and more. The the Ford has four rubber tires. I'm doing good to get that. It's a little short in the creature comfort department.

Actually it's a little worse than that. I simply can't get comfortable in the thing. It's horrible to drive. Actually, it's tortuous. I'm convinced the designers went to Japan, learned how to make a driver comfortable, returned home and designed a torture seat. I'm telling you, everything about the driver's seat is designed to irritate and torment the driver.

For example, the driver's back adjustment has two positions: nose in dash and horizontal. And the right arm rest is in my armpit. If I try to rest my elbow on it, my right shoulder jambs into my right jaw. It's absolutely horrible. If I get the seat distance adjusted correctly, I can't reach the steering wheel. I swear the seat was designed for an ape . . . or by an ape.

The worse part has got to be the dash controls. Each and every dial and knob is just out of reach of the driver. I have to lean forward to turn the knobs and adjust the dials. Worse, I have to look down to find them. They all feel the same so I can't use sensory perception to find a knob. It can be dicy to take my eyes off the road. So I just bear the cold. It's part of my 30 minute torture commute. At least the radio knob is handy. Listening to the radio helps keep my mind off the agony.

I just can't focus in a Focus.

...dave
When I'm not in my right mind my left mind gets kind of crowded. -Stephen Wright

1 comments:

Swan said...

Don't say anything against the Ford Focus. My husband loves his. He loves that arm rest. He's complaining when he has to drive a rental car without one, he doesn't know where to leave his arm that's dangling in the open now. Well, and he's always liked the back of his seat in horizontal position when driving, so that's not a problem for him.