Wednesday, July 25, 2007

CNN Towers


CNN towers
Originally uploaded by daveterry.
Here a shot just after an incredible storm. It passed through the center of Atlanta last night.

I love to watch storms. My dad used to tell me about my grandfather who would stand right up to the picture window during violent storms in New York. The lightening would crackle and it's flickering light would cast his shadow long across the floor and up the back wall behind him. I don't like to get that close to storms.

And I don't want to get rained on. And I don't like megawatts shooting through my body. But I love to see the clouds after the storm. They make great photos. And the digital camera is fantastic. After I take the picture I see my photos right away. I don't have to wait for film developing only to discover that I didn't get the right exposure. I get to see it now. I'm from the Now Generation. I want my news now, my coffee now, and my fun now. I don't want to wait.

Which brings me to the last few days of meetings at the Enterprise. I've learned that everyone wants their stuff now. The Business wants their software solution now. Software engineers want their requirements now. Project Managers want their deliverables now. The Business wants the vendor to deliver NOW without requirements. That's as crazy as eating a cake before it's baked.

Talking about half-baked, during the meeting one of my associates suggested an impractical software solution. Lots of people were in the room. Big people. Important people. What he said was very crazy. But everyone knodded in knowing agreement. I leaned over and suggested another solution. Let's call it Solution B. Minutes later he said: "I was just thinking, we could do Solution B."

I keep telling myself that, like a storm, his popularity someday will pass.

It's the clouds after the storm I like the best. I like to stay away from lightning and thunder. I'm a quiet sort of guy.

...dave
There is more to life than just increasing its speed. - Mahatma Gandhi

0 comments: