Sunday, July 01, 2007

New Words

I've been learning a few new words these days. English words. So here you go:

Arborsmith. This one was not even in the dictionary. But I found a very cool website on the subject. But first the definition:

The art of growing furniture (or other sculpture) from living trees.

Check out Arborsmith/Arborsculptor for more details.

Here's a few new English words I learned that ARE in the dictionary:

slipstream
Pronunciation: 'slip-strEm
Function: noun
1 : a stream of fluid (as air or water) driven aft by a propeller
2 : an area of reduced air pressure and forward suction immediately behind a rapidly moving vehicle

Example: I got great gas mileage slipstreaming down the highway.

shunpike
Pronunciation: 'shen-pIke
Function: noun
: a side road used to avoid the toll on or the speed and traffic of a superhighway
- shun·pik·er /-pi-ker/ noun
- shun·pik·ing /-king/ noun

My wife is always doing this. Turning off the tried and true route to find another way off the beaten path. She's a shunpiker.

So there you have it. Education at its finest. Right here on the blog.

...dave
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for. - Ludwig Wittgenstein

0 comments: