Sunday, February 10, 2008

Telling the family

I promised over a week ago I'd tell you what the fam said when I told them I'd be at home with them more these days. Not always of course, but at least more often, until I found something suitable.

They were elated.

Oh, there were the initial questions like: What will we eat? and What will we drink? and What will be put on? I assured them that all the others who were laid off are worried about the same things.

The good news is I'll be able to finish all my punch list items still remaining to be done on the house. My wife was happy about that. In fact, she pulled out a pencil and paper and started adding to the list.

In my old daily grind, and I DO mean grind, I was up at 6:00, at the Enterprise by 6:40, breakfast & email by 7:15, meetings (often double and triple booked) throughout the day, work through lunch, leave by 5:00 or 5:30. Initially I'd work until 6:30 p.m. Those were crazy hours.

That's all behind me now. Now I get up when I want to. I still make coffee and compose email in the morning (some things never change) but but schedule is blessedly empty.

Well not actually empty. I have a regular pattern of job shopping, networking, emailing, and phone calling but it doesn't start at 6:00.

The best part was this morning, I ate breakfast with the fam. Even if you haven't lost your job you really ought to try this.

...dave
The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem. - Theodore Rubin

0 comments: