365 Journal Entries

Capturing life's momentary events


The Closet


The Closet
Originally uploaded by daveterry.
Closets are merely collection agents. They hound you for more stuff until you can't close the doors. I hate that. I usually keep this closet open since I store the copier in there. This means that I have to keep it neat or it'll drive me to insanity.

Two of my closets in the master bedroom don't even have doors. I yanked them off during the remodel two years ago and they sit abandoned in the garage. I haven't decided to put them back. Sad really, sitting alone, unpainted, stuffed in a dark dank corner. Once part of the house but no more.

In one of the master bedroom closets I have wire metal shelves, a short dresser, and dark wooden hangers. All my shirts line up and face the same direction. Except the ones I've worn once, they face the other direction. That way I can tell them apart. The ties are kept in a basket, wrapped in neat bundles so that all the surfaces are even and show a rainbow of color. I like just looking at the basket of ties. It's a happy view.

But this closet, the one in the sketch, is my office closet. I try to keep it neat too but it's a bit more difficult because I share it with two other members of the family. As I drew this sketch I got a little carried away and almost couldn't quit. After 30 minutes I decided to leave the back wall empty to help balance it against the top shelves.

This sketch was done using my Zig Millennium 05 and a Pentel brush pen (similar to Copic Miltiliner Brush Pen) for the dark black shadows. I sketched it in my handmade and hand stiched pocket sketch journal. I followed the direction of Trumpetvine Travels.

I suppose I ought to be less of a neatnic but that's just my nature. I like stuff in order, it reduces stress. The key, I've found, is just having less stuff.

Hummm, what else can I give away or toss out?

...dave
If you can't give away your possessions, you no longer own them. They own you. - Dave Terry

Labels: ,

3 Responses to “The Closet”

  1. # Blogger Papa Joe

    I suppose I ought to be less of a neatnic but that's just my nature. I like stuff in order, it reduces stress. The key, I've found, is just having less stuff.

    Words that could have come from my own keyboard...

    I also took the doors off of the closet in my office (well...the bedroom that serves as my office, anyway). Stuck a workbench in there. It's like i just increased office space by 25%.  

  2. # Blogger dave terry

    I guess if you keep your closet neat you don't need doors. Making an office out of a closet is a cool idea.

    I read Stephen King's On Writing. He wrote all his stories in a small closet on a folding table. When he became wealthy he bought a big oak desk. He later abandoned it because he couldn't write on anything but a folding table.

    ...dave  

  3. # Blogger anya

    I am being held hostage at this moment by an entire three car garage and a 3,000 foot barn full of stuff. It's not crappy stuff either. It's good stuff. I can't seem to escape......  

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link

365 in your inbox


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Or get it on your Kindle



Love the site or find it helpful? You can donate whatever you'd like.




Archives



© 2008 365 Journal Entries | www.daveterry.net | Site Feed | Back to top
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.