Thursday, October 23, 2008

golden fries


golden fries
Originally uploaded by daveterry.
McD's fries are the best. I've had fries from almost every dinner but it really comes down to the crunchy brown golden fries at McD's.

I try not to eat them often but where there is a choice between McD's and some other, it's McD's hands down.

And so I sat and chewed them while watching the traffic outside. All those folks in a big rush to get home before the sun got lost beyond the horizon. The rain didn't slow their pace when the light changed.

But I had yet another meeting to go to. It was too late to return home for a meal and so it was McD's for dinner.

And as I ate my burger and fries I thought about all the folks bunched up at the red light. Then the red light turned green and glowed in it's reflection on the wet blacktop. The red taillights dimmed as the drivers moved their feet to the accelerator. And they went off. Rain water spraying behind their rubber tires.

Tables near the kid's gym cried rain water onto the patio below them. There were no children playing on them.

Beeping noises from the fryers interrupted my thoughts and made me realize I had only minutes to get to my next meeting. I'd have to cross through the commuters to get there.

I tossed the hood of the Northface jacket over my head, tucked my coffee cup into my chest and headed out the door.

Golden fries and hot coffee warmed my tummy.

...dave
You have been warned against letting the golden hours slip by. Yes, but some of them are golden only because we let them slip by. - James Matthew Barrie (Scottish Novelist best known as the creator of Peter Pan, 1860-1937)

0 comments: