Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Simple Things


Lobster
Originally uploaded by daveterry.
The rain patters outside my window. Like little padded feet the droplets drum the leaves and I feel warm inside.

The rain pauses for a moment, all is quiet, but then it returns with a maddening roar, increasing for a time, hurling water at the defenseless plants in a deafening crescendo. But not for long, it subsides again, exhausted for the moment. Waiting for a time until it can gather energy for another return.

Being inside on a rainy day is one of life's pleasures, a simple thing.

The only element that could make this experience better is a cup of piping hot, crude oil, black coffee.

And so I fetch me a cup. It's as black as a moonless night in the mountains. What could be simpler?

It's quiet now, it's just 5:30 a.m. No one is stirring. All is quiet in the house, except for the burping of the final water through the coffee maker, and of course, the sound of the rain. It's gentle now.

I can hear only a faint hum of the notebook I type on, but only when I pause to think. When I start up again, there is just the sound of the clicking keys.

I type into my text window, but other windows appear beneath, tempting me to click on yet another site on the net. Some windows still show moving images from the various web sites I've visited this morning. I've visited many. One window shows 75 simple things people enjoy most.

For example, people enjoy breakfast with a friend, tea in a park, or bicycling through their neighborhood. These things cost little, is available to just about anyone, but most of all, they bring great satisfaction.

Interestingly, people who win lotteries still find that that the simple things in life bring the most joy.

And that all makes sense to me. If I had all the money in the world and spent a month buying whatever I wanted, what would I do next?

Buy more stuff? Yeah, why not?

I think I need a new bicycle and a new neighborhood.

...dave
If you eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day.

Theoretically Related Posts

0 comments: