Friday, May 01, 2009

Trapped


illustrated journal 2009
Originally uploaded by daveterry.
I'm committed to slowing down, no matter what it takes.

I'm maxed, slammed, throttled, and choked with calls, voice and SMS messages on my cell phone. I'm tired of it interrupting my life. My life was fine without the thing, as far as I remember.

So, I'm tossing my cell phone. I don't need it.

Yep, I'm quitting technology . . . for good . . . permanently, well, except for work. I kinda need technology at work. It's just, what I do.

But I'm serious about the cell phone. I've been without it now for a week and a half and nothing bad has happened to me.

And I didn't receive any vital calls. Just to make sure, I check my cell's voice mail when I get home from work. Nope, nothing urgent. The world didn't come to an end while I was out.

And I haven't needed to call anyone from my car to help me find my way. I haven't gotten lost. Except, I did get a little turned around last night. But I recovered nicely on my own without needing a friend to guide me out of the subdivision maze.

And I haven't needed anyone to rescue me from the side of the road or help me with a flat tire or fetch me a gallon of gas. That little out-of-gas light in my dash is a no-brainer. It gives me a clue when I'm running low. It's nice that the car manufactures provide that so you don't need to call someone from your car when you run out.

Yes sir, I've done quite nicely without the cell phone. And think of the money I'll save when I cancel my service.

I know, I know, you're thinking I've lost it. Cell phones are so necessary you say. Hogwash.

The way I see it, they ain't. If I did need a cell in a public place I could always borrow a cell from someone else. They're everywhere now. In fact, I can't get away from the stupid things.

Today I went into Borders with my 40% discount coupon but some guy was screaming into his phone about all his insecurities. Dude, find a shrink. It was so disruptive to my train of thought, I had to leave the store. I simply couldn't concentrate on what book I wanted to buy. A very rare occurrence.

I think technology has become too invasive. We can't even visit face to face with our closest friends without being startled by the thing ringing, buzzing, or vibrating from a call, SMS, or twitter.

And don't get me started on twitter. Talk about invasive. I just don't get it.

...dave
You can only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Theoretically Related Posts

0 comments: