Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Camry Headlamp "Assembly"


Camry Headlamp "assembly"
Originally uploaded by daveterry.
When my headlamp went out I imagined it a simple bulb replacement.

Not!

I discovered that the bulb was soldered into a mounting device.

So, a few quesitons:
  • Why can't I just change the bulb?
  • Why must the entire "assembly" be replaced?
  • Why is the bulb soldered into the mount?
  • Who designed this?
This is like forcing someone to buy a new phone when their battery has to be replaced. Or buying a new engine when the plugs need changing. What were they thinking?

The mounting device of course, costs more than a simple bulb. It's got a gasket and a connectivity gizmo for the headlight harness. The "assembly" costs about $23.00!

All I wanted was a bulb but had to buy "the assembly."

I'm just going to ride a bike to work.

...dave
I feel like I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe. - Stephen Wright

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why can't I just change the bulb?
- That would be too easy. The manufacturer wants to make more money and simplify the procedure for technicians

Why must the entire "assembly" be replaced?
- see above

Why is the bulb soldered into the mount?
- see above

Who designed this?
- some engineer who laughs himself to sleep every night

daveterry said...

Ahhh...so true, so true.
...dave