Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Mechanical Pencils

As I've said, I always write with my Vanishing Point fountain pen but occasionally I'll branch out and write with a mechanical pencil. It's rare but true, sometimes I need to erase stuff.

I've owned the Pentel pencil, they are sort of the Vanishing Point" of pencils. They are great because they have a click mechanism that slides the entire fine point (.05) into the pen barrel with a single click. Most mechanical pencils require you to push the lead back into the point but then the fine point sticks you as you put it into your pocket. Plus, you may still damage the tip.

A friend of mine told me about the Kerry Pentel pencils. They are a capped mechanical pencil. Kinda cool really. They are better made because the barrel is a brushed aluminum. They also come in red, blue and black. This gives you the option of keeping different colors in each. Black for regular, blue with blue, red with red. Or you could keep different lead weights. The problem for me is that it takes to hands to use them. The Pentels don't.

You can pick up either of them at www.pencity.com. Both are excellent pencils, if you much stoop to using a pencil. I still carry my Vanishing Point around and hide my pencil in my bag. I only take them out when no one is looking.

...dave
You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

0 comments: