Friday, July 08, 2005

War of the Worlds

Eric invited us out to the movies. This is a first - at least since he was maybe twelve years old. Usually it would bother him but it looks like there has been a detente between the teen and his parents. Usually he'd just go with some buddies. I didn't even offer to wear a wig as a disguise.

I really wasn't feeling up to going to an 8:20 p.m. showing because I had to get up the next morning at 6:00 a.m. but . . . he wanted us to all go out with him so I couldn't turn him down.

We had a choice of movies. He said Batman was dark and violent so we opted for War of the Worlds, which was dark and violent. Eric used the descriptive word "disturbing" to describe the show. I can't think of a better word.

Some people in the movie were vaporized and there was some blood. But the issues I had (besides those) was that is was so predictable and at times plain unrealistic. I found myself saying: "No way that could happen." And it was then that I'd realize I was only watching a movie and not real life. I like to get so lost in the movie that I forget it's just a show. But whenever some unbelievable thing happens, it triggers something in my mind that says: "This isn't real life, it's just in a script." That's when it's so disappointing.

The real disappointment was that I had to pay - everyone conveniently left their wallets at home. Yeah, sure.

I'm not feeling the love.

...dave
"To an adolescent, there is nothing in the world more embarrassing than a parent." - Dave Barry quotes

2 comments:

Mr. Linty said...

Heh, I wrote about the same thing in my LJ:

Saw "War of the Worlds" for the second time tonight. Went with my parents and Nico. It's funny, I remember I used to hate going to the movies (or anyplace public for that matter) with the folks, but it doesn't do a thing to me now... Actually, I think it's been awhile since it's affected me like that, I'm just thinking about it because I saw some teenager looking all jittery because he was there with his mom. He was lurking in the shadows of one of the pillars puffing nervously on a cigarette when his mom called him over. He waited a few moments so as to be inconscpicuous, at which point he shuffled as casually as he could manage over to the theater doors, brushing past her completely as she asked what his problem was...


Lol.

-gameyy

Unknown said...

Some parents are just clueless I guess.
...dave