Thursday, December 08, 2005

Business Attache Case

It's kind of a lazy evening tonight. I went in early and came home at 5:00. Eric is at his computer here in the white room designing shirts and web sites. I'm sitting here on the futon couch.

I'm doing some online shopping for another Lands End Square Rigger Classic Attache. I've had mine since Magellan completed his voyage around the world. It may, in fact, be one of HIS original suitcases. It certainly looks like it is.

I tried to clean my current business bag up a bit. I had Ruth wash it. This gave it a stone-washed color with faded blue highlights. Some of the stitching is coming off of the handles. The handles don't clean up well anymore. They are stained. The bag used to be a royal dark blue color. Now it's more baby blue.

I love this thing though. It's like an old pair of shoes, I just can't seem to replace it. It's been with me now for my entire professional career. Why should I force it into retirement? It still functions.

But it's a little embarrassing to sling it over my shoulder. I see people looking at it askance, especially in the elevator. After an initial "Oh, hi Dave." They'll look down at the bag and see the torn area at the corner and just simply quit talking.

I tell myself it doesn't matter. I'm a successful businessman and my well-worn "attache" is evidence of that.

New kids out of college have all the new leather bags and ballistic canvas roller carts . . . wimps . . . all of them. Real hackers have hack bags that bear the ravages of time. Their bags have evidence of being stuffed with impossibly huge computer books and drug around the busses and train stations. Their bags bear the marks of break-out boxes that scratched the internal pockets, and ink pen trails left behind on the bag's internal walls. There is ample evidence of use. They look like a pro's well used Nikon camera.

But still I shop. Hmmm...what color should I get?

...dave
Most people only need two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

0 comments: