Friday, May 26, 2006

Lunchtime sketch

During lunch I try to find someplace I can get away from the phones and desk. If I sit at the desk I get bombarded by people asking me all kinds of technical questions about their projects. Even with a sandwich in my mouth they don't understand I'm having lunch. I still try to help them but I find it difficult to sound and look intelligent with bread in my mouth and mayonnaise on my chin.

So my approach has been to shovel down the lunch and then go out looking for a more private place to read or sketch. We used to have a library but that's been pulled out and populated with cubes. There is nowhere to go to read up on technical subjects since that was eliminated.

I found some chairs around the corner in a closed off lobby. There was even a huge square table where I could put my feet up and balance the iBook on my lap. Those were the days. But that's all gone now. I don't know what the thinking was. But the chairs and table were removed. Now it's just an empty lobby that echos footsteps.

Up the hill there's a restaurant that I sometimes go to but it takes about seven minutes to get there and seven minutes to get back. If I have a meeting at 1:00 sometimes I don't even have time to go up the hill.

I really wanted to sketch and eat this last Friday but it was getting late. It was about 12:15 and I had a meeting at 1:00. So I just decided to sketch my book shelf. This is a collection of books I've purchased over the last couple of years so as to have a technical quick reference library of my own and to loan out to the team.

The sketch I drew doesn't include all the books, only just a few. But it was enough to add sanity to the day.

...dave
Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting. -John Russell

0 comments: